SIM Leaders from around the world gathered in March for the 2015 Global Assembly. It was a time of learning as we sat under different teachers; a time to seek after God through daily devotions together, teaching and times of worship through song.
The International Director asked me to lead a multicultural team who would lead these times of worship in song. Each day there were two sessions of worship, both a half hour in length.
Many people have asked me since returning from Thailand, “How was it?!”
I’ve been having a hard time answering this question. It was an amazing trip on so many different levels. Here’s my first attempt to try and answer that question:
Personally. God stretched me through this experience. Personally I saw my faith tested and grow, answers to prayer and God meeting with me. I told someone that room 518 at the Empress Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand is holy ground for me. I praise God for God’s gracious meeting with me.
Here are some answers to prayer that I was able to see (and for which many had been praying:
- The week before I left I was struggling with a case of bronchitis. My bronchitis cleared up mostly before the conference began
- The worship team who had never met prior, were unified, and played together as though we had been playing together for weeks!
- A spirit of unity, wonder and freedom as we worshiped together in different languages, from different cultures
- God protecting and keeping Tami and the kids while I was away.
Renewing friendships from Bolivia!
- Meeting new friends from all over the world involved in sending and supporting missionaries.
- Meeting SIM country directors.
- My guitar made the trip there and back in checked baggage!
- Expanding my worldview, experiencing the world (literally) of SIM and the leaders from all the countries together in one room.
- Safety and health throughout the conference and country director’s meeting.
Ministry. During the conference many people came me to thank me (and the team) for “my ministry” during the week. To be honest, I had not thought of it in this way. I felt so privileged to be present at the conference! But it was ministry and I was busy! My part of the conference was to lead the multicultural worship team as we led the 200 or so attendees from all over the world. There were MANY details, times to practice, coordinate, and rehearse. That was our amazing privilege! We praise God for how He met with us!
Worship. As I mentioned, there were SIM workers representing MANY countries and multiple languages. As we sang to the Lord worship rose to heaven in Spanish, French, Korean, English and other languages, all at the same time! Throughout the conference we worshipped in song, prayer, through God’s Word, all to the praise of our Savior!
It was as close to the picture that John wrote about in Revelation 7:9-10:
“After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne,and to the Lamb.”
God help us as we seek to proclaim this salvation, until this day comes!